Sunday, November 21, 2010

More photos from the road

View of upper Napa Valley from Mt. St. Helena • © 2010 Karen Lynn Ingalls

As the rain pounds the roof, I think of the leaves falling to the ground, the cold weather and frost to come, and the inevitable curling and browning of the leaves that will follow it. I am glad I was able to get as many photographs this week as I was, while the weather was good.

View of upper Napa Valley from Mt. St. Helena • © 2010 Karen Lynn Ingalls

I love this time of year, with its glorious riot of colors. The vineyards are here what maple trees are to New England.

View of upper Napa Valley from Mt. St. Helena • © 2010 Karen Lynn Ingalls

It's important to me to take as many photographs as I can. Sorting through them, choosing, cropping, and printing them, all are jobs for rainy days, all preparatory for painting.

View of upper Napa Valley from Mt. St. Helena • © 2010 Karen Lynn Ingalls

I drove up Mt. St. Helena to get some faraway shots of the northern end of the valley, north of Calistoga. I've always thought it would be heavenly to take a balloon ride over the valley - aerial images of the vineyards and fields appeal to me, especially in the intense yellows and reds they wear in autumn. This isn't quite the same, but it's as close as I can manage with a Volvo and a highway....

On the side of Mt. St. Helena: the Volvo and the highway • © 2010 Karen Lynn Ingalls

No comments:

Post a Comment